Become A Citizen



  1. Be at least 18 years old
  2. Have been a Legal Permanent Resident for 5 years, or 3 years if your spouse is a U.S. Citizen
  3. Have not committed serious crime
  4. Have good moral character during the last 5 years
  5. Speak, write and read basic English (some have right to an exemption)
  6. You do not need to know English if:
    - you are 55 years old or older and have been a permanent resident for 15 years, or
    - you are 50 years old or older and have been a permanent resident for 20 years
  7. Have not been outside the U.S. for long periods of time
  8. If you are a male between 18 and 26 years old, you must be registered with the Selective Service


What documents do I need to bring to the citizenship appointment?

  • Legal Permanent Resident card (Green Card)
  • Driver’s license or any identification with photo
  • Social Security Card
  • List of all the places of residency during the last 5 years and the dates of residency
  • List of all employers and their addresses during the last 5 years and the dates of employment
  • List of all travel outside the U.S. since the date you obtained your Green Card including destinations and dates
  • Current and expired passports, and travel itineraries/boarding passes (if you have them)
  • List with the complete names, dates of birth, home addresses, and Alien Number (if available) of all your children
  • Copy of birth certificate of all your children
  • Certified court disposition and arrest report from police (if you have been arrested)
  • Most recent tax return

If you are going to solicit Citizenship based on marriage, please bring:

  • All the marriage and divorce certificates
  • Proof that your spouse have been a Legal Permanent Resident for at least 3 years
  • Proof that you and your spouse live together (bank statements, etc.)
  • Lease contracts, mortgages, tax returns of the last 3 years
  • If you have changed your name through the court; bring the court order authorizing the name change


Please bring personal check or money order for $680 to U.S. Department of Homeland Security

You may qualify for a USCIS Citizenship fee waiver

If you believe you qualify for the USCIS citizenship fee waiver:

Bring a letter in English from any local, state or federal government agency that provides you with Means-Tested benefits or assistance showing the amount you receive, or the 2013 tax returns for all the members of your family

You will need to provide proof of the benefit that you or an immediate family member (spouse, or child) are currently receiving. This evidence must be in the form of a letter, notice or other official document containing:

  • Granting agency’s name
  • Recipient’s name
  • Name of the benefit
  • Date you started to receive the benefit
  • If you are applying because of an immediate family member please provide a government form demonstrating the relation (marriage certificate, birth certificate)

Please provide the most recent letter in ENGLISH